Random House logo

Charles Ghigna - Father Goose®

the author of more than 100 award-winning books from Random House, Disney, Hyperion, Time Inc.,

Scholastic, Simon & Schuser, Capstone, Boyds Mills, Abrams, Orca, Charlesbridge and other publishers.



The Call


Like many kids of the 1950s, I loved baseball.
I played on teams throughout my youth and in 1964
I received an invitation to spring training camp
for a tryout with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
I'm still waiting to hear from them.
In the meantime, I've been writing a few poems...



I may have lost a step or two,
(Or four, or six, or eight).
My bat speed may have slowed a bit,
(Much like a rusty gate).

My fastball may have lost some pop,
My slider may be have slid,
But when I dream of baseball,
I become a kid.

A glint of steel in my young stare,
Swagger in my stride,
I saunter to the plate
With confidence and pride.

A fastball down the middle,
I swing with all my might,
Old Rawlings soars past the crowd
And deep into the night.

There I am in summer’s glow
Warmed by hometown cheers,
Rounding third and striding home,
Back to my boyhood years.

Suddenly I’m sixty-six
Asleep in winter’s sun,
Dreaming of what might have been
When I was twenty-one.

Still I wait to take the call,
To hear them say my name,
An old man dreaming of the day
He played a young man’s game.  


©Charles Ghigna

11 comments:

Greg Pincus said...

The Pirate's loss was the poetry world's gain, of course. But I'd still be hoping for the call, too!

Charles Ghigna said...

Thanks for stopping by, Greg! It's always fun hearing from my poetry teammate who continues to hit 'em outta the park.

jama said...

Love this! Base runner, heart stealer . . .

Author Amok said...

Sweet poem, Charles. Maybe they'll let you throw out the first pitch some day.

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

I really don't appreciate the fact that I identify with this poem, and therefore now feel older than I did whan I creaked out of bed this morning...thanks a lot, Charles! ;) Great poem - it really does it home. (pun intended!)

Linda B said...

Here in Denver, the Rockies hold a fantasy camp for those who apply & give a very good reason. Those who 'win' get to play a week before spring training, & some are older! I wonder if you have a nearby team that does it? Maybe, just maybe, you'll get the call. Love the poem, Charles. Thank you.

Amy LV said...

Oh, I am glad that you are a poet and not a baseball player, Charles. And even though I don't play ball, this resonated with me too. Bittersweet, life is! a.

Marjorie said...

:-) Lovely poem - I think you should send it to them then they can invite you along...

Fats Suela from Gathering Books said...

Love this poem, Charles! Very nostalgic and filled with heartwarming thoughts. I hope you hear from them soon! Thank you for sharing! :)

Charles Ghigna said...

Thank you for your comments. It's this kind of encouragement that kept me out of the dugout all these years and hoisted me up here to my Poet Tree House

Violet N. said...

This is wonderful! Stay by the phone, Charles, or better yet, these days keep your cell phone on.

Violet N.