Random House logo

Charles Ghigna - Father Goose®

the author of more than 100 award-winning books from Random House, Disney, Hyperion, Time Inc.,

Scholastic, Simon & Schuser, Capstone, Boyds Mills, Abrams, Orca, Charlesbridge and other publishers.

"Universal Traveler" by Chip Ghigna
Acrylic on canvas, 11" x 14"


As a break from my daily writing routine, 
I climb down out of my treehouse each afternoon
and take a two-mile hike up and down the hills of Homewood.
I often get new ideas during my walks and lose myself in thought,
sometimes mouthing the words of lines as they come to me.
This is my apology to my Homewood neighbors and friends.


Write Walking

If you should pass me on the way
And wonder what I said,
Please forgive the mutters made--
I'm writing in my head.


©Charles Ghigna

6 comments:

Joy said...

Great poem, Charles.

When you're writing
in your head
and then you speak out loud
I'll pause and wait
for your next poem.
I'm sure I will be wowed.

Charles Ghigna said...

Thanks, Joy! Great rhyme - "loud/wowed!"

Linda B said...

Beautiful, your son's painting too, Charles. I've been wondering all day what 'write walking' meant. Love the idea of the thinking & muttering. When we had our retreat a few weeks ago, we talked of 'piddling', how that meant we could wonder & wander, relax & follow our thoughts. I thought of that as I read your poem. Thank you!

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Such a simple little vignette...and yet, I'm sure it was anything but simple to write! Love this, Charles...and Chip's painting almost has a late-'60's-early '70's style to it...very nostalgic.

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Taking a cue from Joy, here's my response!

Poet’s Plight (Just the Right Word)

And likewise, should you pass me by
And distant be my gaze,
Do not think me aloof or proud –
I haven’t slept in days!

Charles Ghigna said...

Thank you, Linda and Matt! Appreciate your comments. Will share with Chip. Great companion poem, Matt!

Some new Chip art: ART SHOW