Random House logo

Charles Ghigna - Father Goose®

the author of more than 100 award-winning books from Random House, Disney, Hyperion, Time Inc.,

Scholastic, Simon & Schuser, Capstone, Boyds Mills, Abrams, Orca, Charlesbridge and other publishers.

Sunbrella


Sunbrella

I have a new umbrella,
Bright pink and trimmed in white,
But every time I go outside
The rain stays out of sight.

My mother says on sunny days
I still might find it fun
To open my umbrella
And keep away the sun.

And so I walk with shadows
Upon my smiling face
Because my new sunbrella
Goes with me everyplace!



from TICKLE DAY: POEMS FROM FATHER GOOSE
© Charles Ghigna, Hyperion Books for Children



10 comments:

Michelle Heidenrich Barnes said...

The voice of this little girl rings so true for me, Charles.

Anonymous said...

Where I come from, it's normal to open an umbrella on a sunny day to keep away the sun. I do love the voice of the poem. It is not childish but quite nostalgic in tone.

Matt Forrest Esenwine said...

Cute poem, Charles - and I agree, the tone of the speaker fits perfectly with the mood of the poem.

Tara @ A Teaching Life said...

A lucky sunbrella, we could all use one of these!

Bridget Magee said...

"Funbrella" poem, Charles! Thanks for sharing. =)

catherinemjohnson.com said...

Awh, cute! My almost 5 yr old just got her first umbrella.

Betsy Hubbard said...

A sunbrella, love that!

Mary Lee said...

Sweet!

BJ Lee said...

love it, Charles! in FL people DO use sunbrellas, but it's usually older women who do so.

Kerry Aradhya said...

Great poem, Charles. My girls love umbrellas and will think up anything to get to use them!