Random House logo

Charles Ghigna - Father Goose®

the author of more than 100 award-winning books from Random House, Disney, Hyperion, Time Inc.,

Scholastic, Simon & Schuser, Capstone, Boyds Mills, Abrams, Orca, Charlesbridge and other publishers.

The Worst Bad Word

Try to think of all the words
That you could live without;
Make a list of all those words
And throw the worst word out.

It’s not a very easy task,
You might just rave and rant;
But don’t give up before you find
The worst bad word is can’t.

@2009 Charles Ghigna

...and another "can't" poem:

ANTS NEVER CRY "UNCLE"

Consider the little ant.
He never says, "I can't."
And so it comes as no surprise,
He carries things ten times his size!

@2009 Charles Ghigna

5 comments:

jama said...

Love this one! There are many versions of the word "can't" in my vocabulary, I'm afraid.

Charles Ghigna said...

Thanks, Jama! You've inspired me to post another of my "can't" poems...

ANTS NEVER CRY "UNCLE"

Consider the little ant.
He never says, "I can't."
And so it comes as no surprise,
He carries things ten times his size!

Linda said...

I'm guilty of the "can't" mindset.

Both of the "can't" poems will make fantastic writing prompts for my students.

Sylvia Vardell said...

Thanks for joining the Poetry Friday fray. Sorry it took me awhile to get the link right, but it's working now!
Sylvia

Charles Ghigna said...

Thank you, Sylvia! What a wonderful, well-attended Poetry Friday it was! Your Poety for Children blog continues to inspire and attract so many eager to participate in the celebration of poetry for children!